What will the big news be on 18th June?
While most analysts expect Microsoft to announce Windows 8 tablets and Nokia to announce a Windows Phone with Pureview (the 808 for Windows Phone) I am inclined to speculate that this will be an announcement of Microsoft to acquire a significant stake (if not all) of Nokia.
Some evidence that this may happen:
- Nokia has prepared itself for a possible acquisition. Most of the hard decisions have been taken and the amount of negative news and predictions released by Nokia could be so that the acquisition price is lower and for Microsoft to start on a fairly clean sheet.
- Nokia has just announced another 10,000 job cuts
- Nokia has sold Vertu (since it wouldn’t have fit into the MS strategy of smartphones for the masses)
- Nokia has issued very negative forward looking statements for Q2 and Q3
So all seems to be set for a Nokia takeover by Microsoft.
Please comment below with your views on this subject.
- Nokia’s survival in question after 10,000 more job are cut (guardian.co.uk)
- Nokia Plans To Cut 10,000 Jobs (huffingtonpost.com)